Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Kid games

So I have been teaching an after school art program for kids ages 5-7. For their most recent project I am trying to teach them how to bring concepts from the drawing board to life so I am having them all construct their own board games. Today we started with our concept sketches. Here are a few of them:
A game called "quick" in which players
try to get through a forest as fast as they can
without getting eaten by a bear.

A game like chess but with less pieces
only one piece can capture the "king"
and only one piece can kill this "king killer"
also the board spaces will be hexagons to allow
for 6 degrees of movement
A soccer board game in which the ball moves
via dice rolls but players move one square at a time.
An action adventure board game with many divergent paths.

In addition I am simultaneously enrolled in a Game Design class as part of my masters degree at UF's Digital World's. I find it interesting (and a bit sad) that 5 to 7 year olds were able to generate more original and cohesive game concepts than a lot of the people in the class!