Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Hey everyone I hope you all had a fun and productive fourth of July weekend. I know I did! I just wanted to share some of my progress here on the blog. For a while I have wanted to continue my series of digital artifacts by making a device that when blown into sends messages to twitter based on your blood alcohol content, like some sort of digital web2.0 party horn. I got the necessary parts for it on Thursday and began working on it on Friday. I had initially thought it would take the course of the semester to complete, but once I started I got obsessed! I finally got the entire thing working sensor, twitter, bluetooth and all yesterday. The best part was testing it on my drunk friends celebrating the 4th!

Here is a pic of it naked, i still need to make a cool case for it:










The code still needs some fine tuning and I would like it to also play sounds, which shouldn't be hard to incorporate. The best part is that I am finally starting to feel competent with writing the code and wiring the devices. When I started this program in January I had never written a computer program in my life.

Also just recently I have had this idea for a movie or maybe more of a tableaux. I want to create a hyper-linked 3D tableaux of ambient scenes aesthetically composed of a combination of dioramas, collage, and real footage. So when I wasn't obsessing over my twitter breathalyzer I took some time to start putting this together. Here is just an initial low-res mock-up.


Hopefully when I have some more time i post a complete tutorial to making the breathalyzer.